Thursday, September 13, 2007

fog is good at hiding things.

I think that maybe I've been going about things the wrong way. I keep getting hung up in certain points of my life and then find myself frustrated when it happens. Maybe it's supposed to be happening? Sometimes life and thoughts and expectations and plans need to be completely re-evaluated. Rehauled.

I've been holding onto this children's book career idea for a long time. Family, friends and teachers have been incredibly supportive and encouraged me to do it. But I have to wonder if I've let them have more influence than they should have. I've been told "That's so cute - if you don't get that published, I'm going to have to kick your ass" or something along those lines. (A threat-compliment, as odd as those are...)

I could make a lot of money with it..I won't put on a false modesty about it...I think I could do it and be successful. But I keep hitting these walls, and I can blame it on lack of discipline and not being able to make myself do it,...but I think the real reason is that my heart isn't there. So while God may still lead me there, I'm not going to put that as a focal point for what I'm going to do with my life.

And coming to that decision is somewhat liberating, opening up the doors again for anything to happen, and not trying to force a square peg into a round hole. And it should allow me to just do art for the sake of loving it, to be passionate about it.

That said, here's Jared:



Ok, so this is an update to the original post. I had this other drawing of a kid that I was coloring and it gave me the idea to do this next thing. I call it "16 years down the road: Retribution".

As in, Jared Jr. Annoying Jared Sr. :)


4 comments:

alaterfriend said...

I not only enjoyed the beautiful picture of Jared, I also enjoyed the fact that you have had threat compliments made to you about kicking your ass because something is cute. I feel like that might be something Sarah might say to me, that she is going to kick my ass because i'm cute. ass. cute.

r.

* said...

Jake, I'm speechless. All I can say is that if you don't make that into a poster and sell 1000 copies, I'm going to kick your ass.

Carlee said...

LOOOVVVVVVVE it. love.

our weather here said...

alright. Jared. Even if you don't sell One BAH-Jillion Copies. I'll still be proud. because that Picture of Jared is FRIKKEN on the SPOT!

BWAHAHAH!

...man that was a good typed laugh.